Bahtiyari Open Camel Bag- Vintage [Iran]
This is a beautiful vintage Camel Bag that has been opened out and used as a floor runner. Most Bahtiyari nomads settled in the 1980's and therefore the need for them to weave transport bags, camel bags and donkey bags was no longer required, therefore bags like this are increasingly rare to find.
- Free international shipping & insurance
- Taxes & duties not included as the item comes from outside of the EU
- We source globally, ethically & directly from artisans and weavers. This means we ship from source directly to you. Cutting out the 'middle man' is a small way we minimize our environmental impact.
- Highly collectable item
- Vintage item approximately 60 years old
- Condition- Excellent
- Care & Cleaning - advice from the Victoria & Albert Museum
- Technique- Beautiful combination of Sumak weave & Kilim weave
- Length- 2.25m [7.4ft]
- Width- 99cm [3.2ft]
The Bahtiyari are a tribal confederacy of nomadic peoples in the central eastern part of the Zagros Mountains in Iran. Bahtiyari tribes undertake the most arduous seasonal migration of any tribe, and are well known for the quality and diversity of their carpets. Only recently has their rich tradition of pileless kilim weaving become known in the west. A Bahtiyari woman's status and respect depended to some extent on her skill as a weaver. The important test of her accomplishments came on her wedding day, when weavings of highly decorated camel, donkey, salt and tent bags, soffrai and kilims made for her dowry, were displayed.
We'd love to hear from you if you have any questions.
*We do our very best to make sure colours are as close to real life as possible. Your computer may not. Silly machines.