Pair Vintage Blue Ikat Bowls [Uzbekistan]
- Each bowl is slightly different as the design was sprayed by hand.
- Used vintage produced around the 1970's
- Items in good used condition (some loss of gold rim paint).
- Listing is for 2 matching bowls.
- Handwash only
- Never use in dishwasher or microwave (the gold doesn't like it)
- Height 7.5cm
- Diameter 16cm
The Ikat design found on these bowls is one of our favourite textile designs. While ikat textiles are produced around the globe, in Uzbekistan is famous for producing bold colour and designs in local silk and cotton varieties. Today these bold and colourful textiles are primarily produced in the Fergana Valley, Uzbekistan. Once woven by master craftsmen exclusively to clothe royalty and the upper classes. The production was mechanized during Soviet rule to make ikat more accessible to the masses. In recent times a return to traditional techniques and natural dyes is the result of government funded initiatives to revive traditional handcrafts. You know it's something special when the cloth is now produced for fashion companies like Gucci, Oscar de la Renta and Dries van Noten.
We'd love to hear from you if you have any questions.
*We do our very best to make sure colours are as close to real life as possible. Your computer may not. Silly machines.