Kilim Vintage Afsar Design [Kayseri]
We feel Ray Charles said it best;
- Free international shipping & insurance
- Taxes & duties not included as the item comes from outside of the EU
- We aim to source globally, ethically & directly from artisans and weavers. This means we ship from source directly to you. Cutting out the 'middle man' is a small way we minimize our environmental impact.
- Highly collectable item
- Vintage item approximately 50-60 years old
- Condition- Excellent
- Care & Cleaning - advice from the Victoria & Albert Museum
- Technique- Kilim weave
- Material- natural wool
- Length- 3.23m [10.7 ft]
- Width- 1.65m [5.4 ft]
Kayseri is a a large Central Anatolian city that sits at the eastern gateway to Cappadocia. Kayseri and its surrounding villages are considered very important weaving centers for both wool on cotton carpets, pure silk carpets, and slitweave Kilims. Afsar are a tribal group originating from Iran who weave extremely fine slitweave kilims. This kilim is of the distinctive type from within the Kayseri region. Typically these pure wool Kilims tend to be boldly geometric, often featuring a central medallion with smaller filler motifs, and generally have two main borders framing the central field. Many of the motifs are symbolic of the lifestyle of earlier nomadic groups that settled in Kayseri from the Eastern Torus Mountains. Kayseri kilims are both decorative and reasonably priced and therefore are very popular on todays markets.
Our Kilims are 100% handmade.
Our vintage pieces are all preloved and due to the age and/or handmade nature of these items, minor signs of patination, fading, wear, or slightly unsymmetrical lines may be present. These are not considered flaws ,they are part of their unique nature and why we love using them in our homes as they add both character and charm.
We'd love to hear from you if you have any questions.
*We do our very best to make sure colours are as close to real life as possible. Your computer may not. Silly machines.